Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lord of the Flies Vocabulary List 5

41. Parody-a humerous or satrical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing.
Syn:Jeer
My definition:A humerous imitation that deals with writing or literature.
My sentence:The comedy movie parodied the entire genre of westerns.

42. Parried-to ward off (a movement in fencing).
Syn:Fence
My definition:A defensive movement.
My sentence:He tried to punch me in the face but i managed to parry his fist so that it missed me.

43. Pinnacles-any pointed, towering part or formation.
Syn:Crown
My definition:A lofty peak
My sentence:Robert reached on academic pinnacle when he graduated high school.

44. Ruefully-causing sorrow or pity.
Syn:Sad
My definition:Feeling sad or hurt.
My sentence:The poor woman ruefully could not give her money to her friend in need.

45. Tacity-understood without being openly expressed.
Syn:Unsaid
My definition:Unvoiced or unspoken.
My sentence:Your failure to object to the request resulted in you tacity approving the change.

46. Vexed-much discussed or disputed.
Syn:Tick off.
My definition:Irritated or annoyed.
My sentence:She became more and more vexed as she struggled to cope with the demands of the job.

47. Vicissitudes-a change or varriation occuring in the course of something.
Syn:Flip-flop
My definition:Change or mutation.
My sentence:They remained friends through the vicissitudes of 50 years.

48. Vivid-strikingly bright or intense as color or light.
Syn:Telling
My definition:Full of life.
My sentence:The twins had a vivid account of their childhood.

49. Vulnerable-open to assault
Syn:Attackable
My definition:Open to moral attack or criticism.
My sentence:He was vulnerable to hurting himself and others.

50. Truculently-Fierce, cruel.
Syn:Aggressive
My definition:Brutally harsh.
My sentence:My truculent cousin laughed after distroying everything in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment