Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lord of the Flies Vocabulary List 2

11. Credulously-Ready to believe espically on sight or uncertain evidence.
Syn: Believe
My Defintion: to believe in something.
My sentence: He sold mairacle cures to desperate and credulous clients.

12.Cynically-Having the attitude or temper of a cynic contempuously distrustful of human nature and motives.
Syn: Attitude
My defintion: Having an attitude and being distrustful.
My sentence: Cynically speaking, one could say that it is true to life to be cynical about it.

13. Declivities-Downward inclination. A descending slope.
Syn: Slope
My defintion: Down hill
Me sentence: Cheating on your homework can start you on a slippery declivity to cheating in life.

14. Decorous-Marked by property and good taste.
Syn: Beauty and grace.
My defintion: Conduct, manners, and apperence.
My sentence: The appreciative guest displayed decorous behavior towards his host.

15. Demur-To make objection; take exception.
Syn: Oppose
My defintion: an objection
My sentence: They wanted to make him the treasurer, but he demurred.

16. Derisive-Characterized by expressing derision; mocking.
Syn: Sarcastic
My defintion: being a smarty pants.
My sentence: He gave a derisive laugh after he pushed her in the mud.

17. Diffidently-Lacking confidence in one's own ability worth; timid; shy.
Syn: Bashful
My defintion: A very shy person.
My sentence: When Brian asked ann to dinner, she blushed and nodded diffidently.

18. Discursive-Passing aimlessly from one subject to another.
Syn: Roaming
My defintion: To get off the subject.
My sentence: The students were instructed to write a discursive essay of their choice.

19. Disentangled-To ffree or become free from entaglement; untangle.
Syn: Unyangle
My defintion: untangle yourself from something.
My sentence: I disentangled myself from the rope so i could be free.

20. Disinclination-The absence of inclination.
Syn: Demur
My defintion: not inclination
My sentence: The place was a mess because of her dsiinclination for housework.

No comments:

Post a Comment