Monday, October 26, 2009

Lord of the Flies Vocabulary List 3

21. Dubious-doubtful; marked by or occasioning doubt.
Syn:obscure
My defintion:doubtful about something.
My sentence:He was dubious about the girl's sincerity.

22. Ebullience-high spirits; overflow.
Syn:ferment
My definition:someone who is high spirited.
My sentence:She is a seperate, trainer, instructor who is full of ebullience.

23. Ferocity-a ferocious quality or state; savage, fierceness.
Syn:wildness
My definition:someone who is hyper.
My sentence:When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; When a tiger wants to murder a man he calls it ferocity.

24. Flourished-to be in a vigorous state; thrive.
Syn:grow
My definition:thrive yourself to grow.
My sentence:My plants seemed to flourish when i started playing classical music for them.

25. Foliage-the leaves of a plant.
Syn:growth
My definition:leaves!
My sentence:The red bird was hidden in the foliage of the huge oak tree.

26. Furtive-taken done used. Surreptitiously or by stealth.
Syn:feline
My definition:someone used something that was take.
My sentence:He made a furtive glance in the director of the closet when the robbers asked where the jewelry was hidden.

27. Grave-an excavation made in the earth in which to bury a dead body.
Syn:fatal
My definition:bury a dead body in the ground.
My sentence:He looked into his own grave.

28. Impervious-not permitting penetration or passage.
Syn:impassive
My definition:incapable of being injured.
My sentence:The coat is impervious to rain.

29. Incantation-the chantering or uttering of words purporting to have magical power.
Syn:formula
My definition:spells, magical powers.
My sentence:On the movie hocus-pocus, the witches use incantations to get kids to come to them and make them younger.

30. Inscrutable-incapable of being investigated.
Syn:enigmatic
My definition:being investigated.
My sentence:The sea captain explored the inscrutable depths of the ocean searching for buried treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment